Saturday 3 March 2012

First Fitting & Starting Sculpting

Bit  of a double whammy blog today. Friday was a pretty productive day - I managed to fit the body suit that all of the Grinch's padding will be sewn onto as well as start sculpting the basic shape of his face as well!!


As you can see I have made a toile of a very snug body suit! Luckily for me and my amazing on-the-stand and flat pattern cutting skills it fit almost perfectly - modest, as ever! Only a few adjustments were needed around the leg and arm holes, I need to raise the neckline and take in the bust dart.

The darts and seams on the body suit are to accentuate the Grinch's features - although the body suit itself will not be seen I will be building on top of it so the structure has to be 'correct' to the form. The strange curved seams under Charlie's breasts don't really flatter her figure but they do make them sag like Mr Grinch's.

The high, arched leg holes will help me when I come to stitch the padding on for his belly as I will have a line to work to and hopefully it should look more natural.


Yes - I have tried this on myself already! Although it makes me slouch as I am slightly longer in the body. The body is made out of a light weight cotton which has been made to fit Charlie's body and the legs and arms have been made in Lycra to give a close fit and ease of movement as the costume must be fully functional. It's no good just looking like the Grinch - she needs to be able to move like the Grinch!

The body part was originally also going to be Lycra but as I am sewing net onto it to create the Grinch shape I would lose all the stretch in it, so it made sense to make it in cotton.

Next time you see this it will be green and then I'll be sewing gathered net over it to create the body padding - its an amazing technique! Can't wait to share it with you all :)











Secondly, the head! This was just a couple of hours work and is just the basic structure of the new face I will make.

Underneath is the original head mould that I made, filed down in preparation for sculpting to commence.








The main areas that needed to be built up were the nose (obviously), cheekbones, eyebrows and the forehead.

I am using images from the film to help me judge where all the wrinkles etc. go but Richard told me I will probably be working on it for 3 to 4 days... 3 DAYS!? I am so impatient! I think that's why I'm a costume maker... Cut a pattern, sew it up and Voila! Almost instant results!


Oh, the line running down the middle of the face is the centre line and basically all that does is act as a mirror line - it's really difficult trying to get both side to look the same!


I am hoping to have this finished by the end of next week but it all depends on how much time I can spend on it (and how much time I WANT to spend on it). Don't get me wrong, I'm loving doing it but it gets tiring and time goes soo slowly when you are sat sculpting!

Buying fabrics for Cindy Lou today! You haven't seen anything of her yet but I promise she is under construction as well! Fittings definitely this Wednesday so I will have something to show you then. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment