Saturday 10 March 2012

Cindy Lou Fittings


Firstly, I would just like to apologise for the fact that I haven't updated my blog for a whole week! I've been so busy with Uni and working and there just aren't enough hours in the day! Still loving it though!! Plus in 8 weeks and 4 days (not that I'm counting) is MY DEADLINE! ARGH! Stay calm... Breathe in... top it up... and let it all out... 

So, down to business. Cindy Lou Fittings! My model is the daughter of my dissertation tutor who has kindly donated her for my project. Her name is Izzy, she's 12 and has long blonde (ish) hair which is PERFECT for Cindy Lou.

I made three slightly different style of dresses:




This is the first dress. It has a centre front fastening with a triangular yolk detail which you can't quite see from the photo,a small puff sleeve and a gathered skirt worn over a petticoat (which is awesome even if I do say so myself!)

The bodice was a little to long and the sleeve was a bit on the small side. You can also see how because the skirt is gathered in it gives more of a bell shape and the bottom rather than just falling over the petticoat.

All in all, not my most successful toile ever..




Second dress!! This little number also has a front fastening. I enlarged the pattern of the previously smaller puff sleeve and this one looks much bigger and better. I also took two inches off the bottom of the original bodice pattern so that fit a lot better.

This is a circle skirt which, for those of you who don't know, is basically just a huge circle with a hole in it. You can see now by comparison how much better this skirt hangs over the petticoat - pleased with this one!!














This one is my third and final dress. After running out of the lovely wine coloured cotton I found this pastel green instead - just incase anyone was wondering why it was a different colour...

This one has a centre back fastening this time and I have taken another one and a half inches off the bodice pattern - I think this is the best position for the waistline. 

This skirt has double box pleats with every other one a single pleat. It falls well over the petticoat and the pleats give it that bit more extra detail.

Showing off my double box pleats







I have made the executive decision to sue the pattern from the third dress with the puff sleeve from the second! Reason for this are because I think the third one makes her look younger than the second and as I am working from the Dr. Seuss book where Cindy Lou was only two I'd rather she looked younger than older. I like the detail of the pleats which is why I'm using that skirt plus the circle skirt looked like she was going to prom or something!

 TA - DAH! Cindy Lou!

Next time you see her the dress will be made in, what us costumiers call the 'real' fabric; red with white polk dots! 

For now I must away to work but I will make sure I update you all during the week this week - can't believe how quickly  the weeks are going by at the moment! All going well though!

Over and out! x



No comments:

Post a Comment