Saturday 25 February 2012

The Great Plaster Head Unveiling

I was gutted that I didn't get a chance to post this yesterday but I went straight from Uni to work so there was just no time... Never mind, today I share with you pictures of the finished head cast.

The minute I got into Uni I was running round the building trying to find Richard, desperate to take the mould off the plaster. Eventually I found him and we headed to the 3D studio where my head had been drying. (I'm only dragging the story out because I had to wait so long to see the head, so I'm making you wait as well).

We took it off the same way we took it off her head, back first!


This is the front and back outer shell of the mould.  All the moisture in the plaster that was poured in had made its way to the outside of the cast while it was drying  and it was pretty damp! The one on the left is the front and you can see that the Alginate has come away from the inside which we had to peel off separately - it felt even more gross than on Thursday having been sat in between layers of damp plaster all night!

Here is what was inside...



HOW CREEPY DOES IT LOOK!?!

The detail that the Alginate picked up was just incredible! Her right ear came out perfectly...




... Unfortunately the same can't be said for her left ear. As I am only using the face to sculpt the clay over this isn't too much of an issue but Richard said that it would be easy to fix as we have the piece that fell off anyways.









I took this photo just to give you an idea on the amount of detail that this Alginate stuff gives you. Just look at it!!

Its a piece of plaster - the wound covering kind - the I used to cover up one of Charlie's piercings and its even picked up the little dots on the plaster. It also managed to pick up her eye lashes but it doesn't show so well on the photo. HOW AMAZING IS THAT!?



After a very careful drive home with my plaster head safely packed away into a box in the boot, I had to cook it at 60 degrees for about an hour and half - I have this isn't the first time I've put someones head in the oven... KIDDING! But it looked even more creepy than before when I put it in there!


I told you!!

Now she's all cooked I have to take it into uni next week to fix the ear and file the back of the head down so its all nice and smooth. Then it will be time to start sculpting the Grinch's face onto it.

Meanwhile, in Cindy Lou Land, I am making 3 toile dresses to fit to Izzy (model) next wednesday and I have a fitting of the body suit that I am making this week on Friday with Charlie! Busy busy busy!!

More fun and photos coming soon people! Don't go away! x

No comments:

Post a Comment